Sunday, April 18, 2010

Downward Spiral

I don't think they have a scale for laziness, but I feel like I should be pretty high up there if they ever do get around to making one. For instance, I keep getting the urge to bake for the blog, and then baking and not taking any pictures of the darn things that I make. Perhaps it's got something to do with the fact that my camera is being dopey at the moment... or it could just be the myriad other things that I have to do.  Such as holding our frisky sofa down...

Anyway, I remembered an awesome thing that I think that I read in one of Nigella Lawson's books once upon a time, which was lucky for me because I was fresh out of ideas for a shared morning tea that we were having at my work.  I've gone right off the cupcake thing, since that's what everyone expects from me now, and as awesome as they are to make, they're always too sweet for me.  In my experience, people get suspicious if you don't eat your own baking.





But I digress.  So I was telling you about this cool thing, which is so ridiculously easy it's almost criminal.  First, get yourself some puff pastry (I even used the pre-rolled-out ones, how lazy is that?!) smother it in an awesome topping of your choice (for work, I did pesto, but I also tried nutella and then cinnamon and sugar with butter... nutella didn't work out very well, it kind of burnt before the pastry got good, but the cinnamon ones were great), roll 'em up, chop them into about one centimeter thick rolls, then bake them in the oven for about fifteen minutes and voila!

So that was my exciting baking weekend.  But the international independent record store day was on on Saturday, so I did my duty and bought some tunes from Real Groovy (Spinnerette's self-titled album, and Ritual de lo Habitual by Jane's Addiction), it was fun, they had lots of ballons and stuff, a DJ and that too (I think there were more bands scheduled to play later in the day).  I'm hoping to go see Henry Rollins later in the week, but that may not work... we shall see!  It's getting to be seriously wintery here in the middle of New Zealand, so it will have to be fortifying soups and pies and stuff sometime in the near future.

1 comment:

NgaioRue said...

woot, love the pic. Those sound pretty easy....my style :)