Monday, August 31, 2009

Buy Me a Pony

Oh my Godzilla, was that Cupcake Day?  More like Cupcake Two-Hours!  Yeesh!  If I'd have known what a ravenous pack of... ravens... was going to descend on our wee cupcake stand, I'd have baked more!

No, that is a horrible lie.  I would not have baked more.  I baked twenty four cupcakes on Sunday, in two different flavours, and with all the icing them and sticking them into cute little cellophane bags (which seemed like an awesome idea at the time, but turned out to be a truly unholy nightmare by the time I was actually doing it), I was SO over it.  But on some small level, it was worth it when I saw the flock of people who rocked up to support us and the SPCA.  We made $64 in donations alone, which was super, so our grand total for the two hours was $303, which is pretty darn awesome in anyones book.

Notes for next year would be to sell the cupcakes for more - maybe two dollars was too cheap?  Next year we might do three dollars or two for five.  And we'll bake other stuff too, turn it into a bakesale type thing.  But, Dang!  It was kind of exhausting organising it, but it was worth it!

Oh yeah, I didn't say which flavours I went with!  After much panicky reading of the ingredients lists of all the margarines in the supermarket (so many of them have milky type things in them!  Gah!)  I went to Commonsense Organics, as you do when you're looking for veganriffic things.  After much prowling of the aisles looking confused, I spoke to a charming assistant who assured me that Olivani has no milk badness in it, and is totally fine to use in baking.  Which it was.  Phew.  So... it was chocolate cupcakes with caramel frosting (with blue sugar crystal topping) and white chocolate and cherry flavours.  I really think the white chocolate and cherry has major potential for the White Stripes cupcake, and since now I have about seven thousand red cupcake papers with white spots, I'll have to think up a few more uses for them!  But for now, I don't think I even want to think about cupcakes for at least three days.  Maybe make that two.

No comments: