Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Habit Forming



So I'm trying to get into the habit of making muffins on a Sunday afternoon. My first attempt was blueberry, and let me tell you... not as successful as I would have liked.  Not, y'know, bad or anything, just not as light and gorgeous as they should be.  I really don't know if it was just the recipe I was following, possibly the fact that I didn't use buttermilk (like half the internet told me I should... in fact, do you know how hard it is to find a muffin recipe that doesn't have buttermilk in it?  I do, and trust me, it's hard).  This recipe wasn't a buttermilk recipe, but... I don't know, there was something about those blueberry muffins that didn't grab me by the tastebuds and whirl me around the room in a daze of wonderful.

Am I expecting too much from these muffins?  Whatever gives you that idea?


So the next attempt was raspberry and lemon.  And let me tell you, what an improvement... light, gorgeous, sweet (but not too sweet), A+ for attitude.  The remainder of the blueberry muffins (which I had frozen like the dutiful breakfast provider that I am) was cast onto the lawn to thaw for the birds (the little waxeyes didn't seem to mind them one little bit, so maybe it's just me).  You can see the end result of the rasberry/lemon muffins in the picture above.  Oh yeah, that's a big hunk of cream cheese poking out there - because my philosophy is always that more is just enough.

4 comments:

NgaioRue said...

I tried to make blueberry bread one time...it was ok but something just wasn't right. Maybe buttermilk was required there too? But then I also think there's something with using frozen blueberries and fresh ones and the water content that screws up recipes.

ElleJay said...

Yup, you're right about the water content, though if you bought your frozen blueberries, then it shouldn't make that much of a difference. Was it yeasty bread, 'cause I went through a phase where none of my bread was working, and that was because my yeast had gone over (by like, a year... oops).

ElleJay said...

Okay, just made the same recipe, substituting buttermilk for milk, and lime for lemon. Who knew these suckers could get any better? 'Cause they just have.

Anonymous said...

I use the muffin recipes in the Edmonds Cookbook - no namby pamby buttermilk in them!
They're really quick and easy and I've never had one fail, despite adding all kinds of randomness to them (fruit, chocolate, nuts, cream cheese, ham and cheese with herbs, spices).
And, if you remember back that far, I'm the one who killed my mother's oven trying to make cheese on toast at the age of 23, so they 're really quite idiot-proof ...
Hurrah for Mrs Edmonds, I say :o)