Tuesday, February 02, 2010

Soup du jour, that's for sure.

Medieval Times has a lot to answer for.  Not only is it totally on my list of things to do when I finally haul my ass to the U.S of A (one down from basking in the awesome that is Magnolia bakery, and one up from sitting through a whole real-life baseball game, beer and hotdog in hand), it's where the Them Crooked Vultures legend began.  Y'all can google the rest of the legend, because it's all over everywhere, and I can't be arsed typing it all - suffice to say, it's truly legendary (though it would have been more legendary if Dave Grohl and Jack Black had actually been allowed to have a sword fight... beggars can't be choosers, I suppose).

On Friday, we were a tiny part of that legend.  And I have to say, the gig was sensational.  Okay, they don't have a huge amount of material to chose from, but they played for just over two hours, and I confess to dancing (in my way, though anyone who has seen my spastic gyrations knows it can't properly be called 'dancing') for the whole time they were on stage.  You all know my feelings regarding the pure, unadulterated awesome that is Josh Homme, but I have to say that I was most impressed with Alain Johannes... that man can wail, and he's no slouch on a blues guitar either.  John Paul Jones was amazing, as you'd expect, and Dave Grohl... Dave Grohl is a frickin' maniac.  If I still have that much energy when I'm pushing forty, then I'll consider myself as doing well. 

Er, highlights? Caligulove, which is my favourite song from the album, was good, but I felt like the crowd was slipping by the time they got around to playing it.  No-one Loves Me, & Neither Do I was awesome, as you'd expect, 'cause I think that's all the girl audiences favourite song, as did Reptiles which seemed to be the song of choice for the boys.  The vibe was really nice too, a good mix of girls and boys, and everybody was pretty relaxed about the whole thing.  This was easily my second best-ever concert experience (first best was the V festival in 2008... ahh, good times).  Oh, another highlight... Josh Homme dancing around the stage like he was about to shed some clothing was pretty good, but that's only my humble opinion *wicked grin*.

No comments: