Friday, February 05, 2010

Happiness is a Hard Helmet

(heh)

That double entendre is actually in aid of something, you know.  I bought my roller derby pads and helmet today, so when my skates arrive from Sin City Skates, I'll be able to start practicing fully... so frickin' excited!  However, I'm going to the rink tomorrow for my first skate in about fifteen years... I was pretty crap at it then and I'm sure that I'll be pretty crap at it now.  But the good thing is that I'm already financially committed to the derby cause, so I'm more likely to give it a proper go now that I've literally invested in it.

That is all.  I'm just real excited about the whole thing... oh yeah, and I thought of a good derby name too, but since I seem to change my mind every fifteen minutes or so about that, I'll have to keep you posted on what I actually end up with.

By the way, I'm a few pages in to an amazing book (which is good, because I finished Eclipse last night... the less said the better, I've already ranted via email to poor Ngaio.  Needless to say, there was a lot of swearing and a threat to do a very nasty thing with Eclipse, if it wasn't a library book, of course).  The book is Hey, Nietzsche! Leave Them Kids Alone! The Romantic Movement, Rock & Roll, and the End of Civilisation as we know it .  So you can understand why I picked it up.  It's by an Australian dude called Craig Schuftan, who works for triple j on a show called 'The Culture Club', and so far, he's presenting some pretty amazing and interesting ideas.  But I'll have to get back to you on that one too, because I'm only on page eleven and without being too mean about it, it could all go to custard on page twelve.