Saturday, October 03, 2009

Black Velvet

Wow, I have to say that after about a months worth of hiatus, I've come back with a bang!

These were the nicest cupcakes I've made in a while... gorgeous cake-y interior, smooth sweet (but not too sweet) frosting, the stars aligned!  I think the Elvis link is a wee bit tenuous, but since I hate (and I do mean hate) bananas, that's about as close as I can bring myself.  Plus, peanut butter and chocolate is such an awesome combo, I don't know how anyone can go past it.  

This frosting is perfect too (for once, it didn't split the bag when I was piping it on - I know, I know it serves me right for being such a lazy ass and wanting to use cheap disposable piping bags, but I can never be arsed faffing about with getting the proper ones clean...)  I used the Mafioso Chocolate Cake recipe (you can find it in the Zombie Eaters post below) and kind of made up a peanut butter frosting (as tempting as it was not to, I did use smooth peanut butter).  The cake on it's own is utterly stupendous, but with the frosting... ooooh, Mama!!  Pretty flippin' good.  

They turned out really pretty too - I used the last of the leopard print cupcake papers (totally going to have to buy some more of those suckers), and my lovely husband even found me some 'Saint Elvis' images to use as toppers... so there you go, I told you I'd be back!

No comments: